This post includes the ultimate Fall cleaning checklist, plus smart ways to reset your home for the new (ahem, best) season.
When it comes to the autumn season, fall cleaning might not be the first thing that comes to mind.
We know we’re supposed to do a good spring cleaning, but Fall cleaning is actually a thing, too!
What is Fall cleaning?
Fall cleaning consists of seasonal tasks that aren’t part of your weekly or monthly cleaning routine.
These are the things we often forget to clean. Plus simple ways to reset your home during the transition from warmer weather to cool temps.
How do you start a Fall clean?
With this list, of course!
Just print the Fall cleaning and organizing checklist below, and do as much (or as little) of the housework as you wish.
It’s just meant to be used as inspiration – no need to do every single thing, unless you want to.
💡 Quick tip: Have a donation bag or bin nearby to declutter as you go.
Let’s get started!
You May Also Like:
- How to Clean Your House Really Fast (step by step!)
- 12 Tricks to Motivate Yourself to Clean When You HATE Cleaning
- How to Keep Your Home Smelling Good (ALL THE TIME!)
- 15 Things to Declutter Before the Holidays
This post may contain affiliate links. You can view my full disclosure policy here.
The Ultimate Fall Cleaning Checklist
Note: This Fall cleaning list is divided up by what to clean in each room. You can DIY your own cleaning schedule however works for you (ie. doing one room per day).
In the kitchen:
- Pantry – Tidy and organize, tossing any food you won’t be eating. Try a pantry challenge, too.
- Fridge – Including the top, underneath, and the coils.
- Inside of dishwasher – Here’s an easy way to clean it with vinegar.
- Wipe down cabinets
- Oven and stove top
- Disinfect garbage cans – I use disinfecting wipes to clean and disinfect.
- Drain – I love using this stuff to clean the drain.
- Microwave – Here’s how.
- Wipe down walls – They get grimy from cooking.
- Wash or wipe down rugs
- Declutter countertops
Related kitchen cleaning posts:
Just want to grab your cute FREE printable fall checklist? Sign up below!
(Already a subscriber? It’s waiting for you in the Freebie Vault!)
In the living room:
- Wash blankets
- Vacuum upholstered furniture
- Move furniture to vacuum underneath
- Shampoo carpet – This is the carpet cleaner I have and love.
- Disinfect remotes
- Spot clean stains on furniture
- Condition any leather furniture
Basement & Laundry Room:
- Washing machine – You can use these tablets (or this method to do it naturally).
- Remove lint from dryer vent and hose
- Clean under (and behind) the washer and dryer
- Check carbon monoxide detector
- Have HVAC system checked
- Change furnace filter
Around the house:
- Disinfect and wipe down door knobs and light switches
- Wash curtains
- Clean blinds
- Tidy and organize linen cupboard
- Wipe down baseboards
- Dust ceiling fans
- Dust or lint-roll lampshades
- Wash light fixtures
- Cobwebs in corners – This thing really helps!
- Replace any burnt out lightbulbs
- Get your ducts professionally cleaned
- Shred unnecessary paperwork
- Organize coat closet
- Check fire extinguishers
- Check batteries in flashlights
- Change smoke detector batteries
- Decorate for Fall!
Related cleaning posts:
- 6 Simple Ways to Keep Your House Clean ALL THE TIME
- How to Create a Cleaning Schedule for Working Moms ( and other busy people!)
- 10 Minute Chores: Cleaning Tasks To Do When You’re Short on Time
In the bedrooms:
- Wash comforter or duvet cover
- Wash mattress cover
- Vacuum and flip or rotate mattress
- Change summer bedding to winter bedding
- Move furniture and vacuum underneath
- Swap out your summer clothes for winter clothes – It’s a great time to declutter your clothes using this super quick method!
- Declutter surfaces – Such as dressers and night stands.
Related organization ideas:
- 19 Easy Tricks to Make Your Bedroom More Cozy
- 135 Things to Get Rid of to Organize Your Home Fast (whole home checklist!)
- Get Your Closet Organized With These 10 Easy Tricks
In the bathroom:
- Wash shower curtain
- Replace or wash shower liner
- Clean grout
- Clean out drain – This is the quickest way to do it.
- Wash rugs
- Wipe down cabinets
- Disinfect garbage can
- Disinfect toothbrush holder
- Change your toothbrush or toothbrush head
- Sort through medications – Toss expired ones, and stock up on new (for cold & flu season).
- Sort through beauty products – Get rid of anything you don’t love or use.
Outside Fall Cleanup and Maintenance:
- Clean gutters and downspouts
- Wipe down door thresholds
- Wash windows – Rinse the screens, and wipe down the tracks, too.
- Powerwash the deck, patio, and house
- Cover or put away patio furniture
- Winterize or take down pool
- Check snow blower
- Winterize lawn mower
- Clear out flower beds
- Buy sidewalk de-icer
- Drain and store hoses
- Clean, cover, and store BBQ grill
- Remove any trash
- Organize and declutter glove box
- Wipe down surfaces and cupholders
- Wax the outside
- Check wiper blades and windshield wiper solution
- Put ice scraper in the trunk
Fall Cleaning Checklist Printable
You can bookmark this post (or pin it on Pinterest) to reference over and over.
Or use the free fall cleaning checklist printable pdf I created!
I also made a blank cleaning checklist so that you can create your own.
Sign up below to get instant access to the printable Fall Cleaning Checklist.
Plus you’ll become a member of the Vault of Awesome Printables! There are SO MANY handy printables in there, to organize every aspect of your life.
I really hope this Fall home maintenance checklist was helpful to you!
These tips and tricks are really smart ways to transition your home from the end of summer into fall and winter.
Enjoy the season!
Be sure to check out these other Fall posts:
- Cheap and Clever Ways to Change Your Home Decor for Every Season
- 107 Ideas for your Fall Bucket List
- Easy DIY Fall Wreaths to Embellish Your Front Door
- 22 of the Best Fall and Halloween Movies
- 63 Cute & Romantic Fall Date Ideas (for any budget!)