How to make your house smell like Christmas! Here are 15 easy ways to get your home to feel festive, with scent!
What is the smell of Christmas to you? Maybe it smells like evergreen trees. Or perhaps you prefer the scent of cinnamon, gingerbread, or peppermint.
No matter what your favorite is, there are a variety of ways to bring those Christmas scents into your home!
These ideas even include how to make your home smell good naturally (without candles), plus homemade ways to fragrance your favorite rooms.
Okay, let’s make the house smell like Christmas!
You May Also Like:
- How to Keep Your Home Smelling Good All the Time
- 6 Simple Ways to Keep Your House Clean ALL THE TIME
- How to Make Your Laundry Smell Good (a ton of easy tricks!)
- NEW! 57 Unique Gift Ideas Under $25!
This post may contain affiliate links. You can view my full disclosure policy here.
How to Make Your House Smell Like Christmas
1. Simmer pot
A stovetop simmer pot is a super easy, customizable way to make your home smell like Christmas naturally.
Here’s how to do it:
- Add some fruit and spices to about 2 quarts of water in a saucepan, right on your stove.
- Turn the heat down to simmer, and enjoy the fragrance! (Note: You may need to add water about every 30 minutes or so.)
- You can reuse the simmer pots too. Just put the ingredients in a mason jar in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Try one of these Christmas simmer pot recipes:
- Apple slices, orange rinds, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves
- Bay leaves, whole cloves, and cinnamon sticks
- Pine needles, cinnamon sticks, cloves, orange peels
- Cranberries, orange peels, cinnamon sticks, and nutmeg
- Cloves, allspice, and vanilla
2. Christmas Potpourri
Potpourri makes your home smell good, AND looks pretty and festive when set out on a tray or bowl.
Some of the best Christmas potpourri blends are:
Or you can actually make homemade Christmas potpourri!
To DIY your holiday potpourri, try using:
- Dried apple and orange slices
- Whole cloves
- Cinnamon sticks
- Christmas essential oils
3. Essential oils
One of the easiest ways to make your home smell like Christmas is with an essential oil diffuser.
Just add water with a few drops of your favorite Christmassy essential oils, and enjoy!
It will run for hours, with no flame to worry about.
The best Christmas scented essential oils are:
Or grab a set like this one, with everything you need!
You can make SO many different essential oil blends in your diffuser.
Check out this Seasonal Essential Oil Blends Recipe Book for the very best recipes for every season of the year. (Plus a BONUS Holiday Recipes Guide!)
There are 105+ custom essential oil blend recipes to use in your diffuser to keep your house smelling good all year long!
Use coupon code SEASONS to save 15% right now!
4. Reed diffuser
Using reed diffusers is super easy because you just set-it-and-forget-it, and your house always smells good!
To make your house smell like Christmas, check out these awesome varieties:
Or learn how to make your own DIY reed diffuser here.
5. Fresh greens
Christmas is the perfect time to use scents from nature inside your home.
You can use garlands or wreaths made from fresh evergreen or balsam, or buy a real Christmas tree!
Sticking with an artificial tree? Try these Scentsicles to get the Christmas tree smell (without all those pine needles everywhere).
6. Air freshener
There are so many awesome air fresheners that you can just set up or plug in somewhere in your home, and enjoy the scent without effort.
Here are a few options to consider:
Or here’s how to make homemade Christmas air freshener in a mason jar!
7. Bake gingerbread (or snickerdoodles)
Baking something Christmassy offers a double benefit – free smells AND a tasty treat!
Snickerdoodles will make your house smell like cinnamon, or fill your home with the scent of gingerbread cake or cookies.
8. Christmas hand soap
Using Christmas-scented hand soaps is like a present every time you wash your hands.
Your family and guests will love it too!
Some amazing Christmas soap scents are:
- Bath & Body Works Holiday Traditions
- Mrs. Meyer’s Peppermint, Pine, and Orange Clove
- Michel Designs Foaming Soap
9. Christmas scented cleaning products
Make your house smell like Christmas every time you clean with some festive-smelling cleaning products!
Here are a few Christmas cleaning products to try:
Who knows, it may even make you want to clean…
10. DIY cinnamon pinecones
Nothing says Christmas quite like pinecones in your decor. They look really pretty set out in a bowl or tray.
Since they don’t offer much scent themselves, why not make them smell like cinnamon!
Here’s how to make pinecones smell like cinnamon:
- Place pinecones on a foil-lined sheet tray
- Bake in the oven at 200℉ for 45 minutes
- Combine 20 drops of cinnamon essential oil with ¼ cup water in a spray bottle
- Place pinecones in a gallon Ziploc bag, then spritz them with essential oil mixture
- Seal bag and let sit for 4 hours
- Once you can see that all the moisture is gone from the bag, they’re ready!
11. Christmas room spray
Room sprays do a nice job of giving your home a burst of Christmas scent.
They’re not overpowering, and you can choose exactly where you want the fragrance.
Some festive-smelling room sprays are:
Or make a homemade room spray instead!
To make your own, fill a little spray bottle with vodka or witch hazel, and 40 drops of your favorite Christmas essential oils. Shake well before each use.
Pro-tip: Don’t forget to grab the Seasonal Essential Oil Blends Recipe Book for tons of great-smelling room spray combos!
12. Scented Candles
This list of ways to make your house smell like Christmas wouldn’t be complete without some festive candles.
Bath & Body Works and Yankee are the best that I’ve found.
Here are a few amazing Christmas candles to try:
Or try making your own Christmas-scented candle at home!
13. Mulled wine
Make some warm cider and rum punch in your slow cooker.
You’ll get the smell AND the taste of Christmas!
14. Linen spray
Freshen up your throw blankets, towels, and bedding by using a holiday linen spray.
You can buy one like this, or DIY one at home.
Here’s the 2-step process to make your own:
- In a jar, combine 1/2 cup of water and ½ cup witch hazel (or vodka)
- Add in 10 drops each of 3-4 different Christmas essential oils, shake thoroughly, and pour into small spray bottle.
15. Wax melts
My wax melt addiction runs deep. I just love them! All of the fragrance, with no flames to worry about.
Simply toss 1-2 cubes into your wax melt warmer, and enjoy the Christmas scent all day long.
I usually buy my wax melts at Meijer (you can also get them at Walmart), or you can grab a Christmas medley set on Amazon.
Or here’s a way to make your own!
Can you smell the Christmas?
I hope these tips and tricks really help you make your house smell like Christmas.
When your home smells good (and festive), it makes you enjoy being there more.
Enjoy the holiday season, and all the cinnamon, gingerbread, peppermint, and Christmas tree smells that go along with it!
It really is the little things in life!
P.S. Don’t forget to grab your copy of of the Seasonal Essential Oil Blends Guide, so you can have an amazing smelling home all year long!
Be Sure to Also Check Out:
- 19 Things You Can Do Now to Get Ready for Christmas Early
- 5 Ways to Stay Sane During the Holiday Season
- Learn How to Be a Better Gift Giver With These 15 Easy Tricks
- 15 Things to Declutter Before the Holidays