Essential Oils for Cleaning: The Ultimate Guide!
The best essential oils for cleaning and disinfecting! Everything you need to know about cleaning with essential oils and making homemade cleaning recipes.
I don’t know about you, but it seems like every day I hear about more harmful products on the market.
We have to be our own advocate, and ultimately it’s up to us which chemicals we allow into our homes.
Cleaning products are a common culprit of those chemicals.
But did you know you can make your own natural cleaning products…using essential oils?
Instead of buying store-bought products with difficult to pronounce mystery ingredients, use some simple ingredients and DIY it!
Not only are essential oil cleaning recipes safe to use, they cost a lot less. And smell way better!
Plus, they’re totally customizable based on your favorite scents.
Okay, let’s dive into how to clean with essential oils!
You May Also Like:
- How to Keep Your Home Smelling Good All the Time
- 12 Tricks to Motivate Yourself to Clean When You HATE Cleaning
- How to Clean Your House Really Fast (step by step!)
This post may contain affiliate links. You can view my full disclosure policy here.
What is the best essential oil for cleaning?
There are several essential oils that work best for cleaning. Here’s a list of my favorites!
Best essential oils for cleaning:
Naturally antibacterial and antiviral, lemon oil is also an excellent degreaser and makes your house smell fresh.
It works well for bathrooms and kitchens, and for making wood floors and furniture shine.
2. Wild Orange
Because of its citrus elements, wild orange oil works well for dissolving grease or sticky residue.
It has an energizing smell, and is best used on kitchen countertops and stovetops.
Considered a natural germicide, eucalyptus essential oil works great for deterring pests, especially dust mites. It’s also powerful for stopping mold and mildew.
4. Tea Tree
Also called melaleuca, tea tree oil is one of the strongest essential oils for cleaning. It kills off nasty bacteria, viruses, and fungus.
With natural antibacterial and antiseptic properties, rosemary essential oil makes an excellent disinfect for washing dishes, cleaning bathroom surfaces, and even in your laundry.
It also has an energizing scent that will help deodorize your home.
With powerful cleansing properties, thyme oil works well for killing kitchen bacteria like salmonella.
Use it for washing dishes, utensils, and cutting boards, or cleaning countertops and sinks.
Naturally antibacterial, lavender oil works well for cleaning toys, dishes, and linens.
It’s soothing scent is better tolerated than stronger-scented essential oils, and is safe for all ages.
Grapefruit oil has microbial properties that work to disinfect surfaces and linens in your home. Plus it will offer a fresh, citrusy scent!
RELATED: How to Make Your Laundry Smell Really Good (a ton of easy tricks!)
The refreshing scent of peppermint oil makes an excellent home deodorizer. It has antibacterial properties, and will deter bugs and rodents.
Naturally antibacterial and antiseptic, cinnamon oil works really well on mold and mildew.
It’s also effective against pests, and makes your home smell warm and inviting.
With its air purifying scent, pine essential oil is great for killing mold, mildew, and other household bacteria. It also works well for cleaning wood floors.
💡 Psst: Want to keep your home smelling good through every season of the year? You’ll love our Seasonal Blends Recipe eBook!
It has 105+ essential oil blend recipes for Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer. Plus a BONUS Holiday Blends Guide, with essential oil recipes for every holiday! Use them for cleaning, or in your diffuser!
(Use coupon code SEASONS to save 15% right now!)
CLICK HERE TO CHECK IT OUT!
How do you use essential oils for cleaning?
By combining essential oils with water, vinegar, and other carriers like castile soap or dish soap, you can make many different types of DIY natural cleaning products.
Some examples of homemade essential oil cleaners include:
- All purpose spray (see below for recipe)
- Toilet scrub
- Soft scrub (see below for recipe)
- Shower spray
- Window cleaner (see below for recipe)
- Linen spray
- Carpet refresher
- Stain remover
- Dusting spray
What are the benefits of cleaning with essential oils?
In addition to being more ‘green,’ cleaning with essential oils is advantageous in so many ways!
The benefits of using essential oils for cleaning are:
- They kill bacteria, viruses, fungus, and other germs.
- The citrus varieties can easily break down grease and grime.
- Homemade cleaners cost far less.
- You’re in complete control of what you’re cleaning with.
- They make your home smell great!
How do you make natural cleaning products with essential oils?
Here are some helpful tricks when making homemade essential oils cleaning recipes. Plus a few safety tips.
Things to know when making DIY essential oil cleaners:
- Use distilled water when possible. That way you won’t be cleaning with any chemicals or hard minerals that might be in your tap water.
- Always add essential oil last, after the other ingredients.
- Shake bottle or jar to mix well, since you’re combining oil and water.
- Use dark amber bottles to keep solution good for longer.
- Since essential oils can break down plastic, use glass bottles or jars whenever possible.
- If you prefer a fainter scent, add 5-10 drops to 3 cups of liquid.
- For a stronger scent, add 10-20 drops to 3 cups of liquid.
Safety Tips When Using Essential Oils:
- Always dilute essential oils. They’re very strong in their concentrated form.
- Essential oils are never to be consumed or taken internally.
- If you are pregnant or have certain health conditions, check with your doctor before using essential oils.
- Certain essential oils are not safe for pets. Please check with your vet or read this helpful article for guidance.
How do I make my own cleaning products with essential oils?
There are a few tools that make it easier to create your own homemade essential oil cleaning products.
Here are some must-haves!
DIY Essential Oil Cleaning Supplies:
Amber Glass Spray Bottle Set
This convenient kit includes a variety of spray bottle sizes, plus labels. A must-have when making homemade essential oil cleaners.
Essential Oil Funnel and Dropper Kit
These droppers and funnels offer an easy way to mix up your own blends.
Essential Oil Set
You can buy several essential oils together in a set to figure out your favorite blends in a cost-effective way.
Essential Oil Diffuser
Freshen your home even when you're not cleaning by using an essential oil diffuser throughout the day.
DIY Essential Oil Cleaning Recipes
Here are 3 quick and easy homemade cleaning product recipes!
Homemade Essential Oil All Purpose Cleaner Spray:
- 2 cups of water
- 2 cups of vinegar
- 1 tsp dish soap
- 50 drops essential oils
Note: You can use 50 drops of one kind of oil, or a combination of 2-3 oils.
Ideas for essential oil combinations:
- Lemon and tea tree
- Lemon and lavender
- Tea tree and pine
- Peppermint, orange and eucalyptus
Essential Oil Soft Scrub Cleaner:
- 1 cup of baking soda
- ¼ cup castile soap
- 30 drops citrus essential oil (Such as lemon, lime, grapefruit, wild orange, or a combination of them.)
Easy Glass Cleaner Recipe:
- 3 cups water (preferably distilled)
- ¼ cup of vinegar
- ¼ cup of rubbing alcohol (to prevent streaks, and can be omitted)
- 20 drops essential oil (lemon or peppermint are refreshing)
Ready to try cleaning with essential oils?
Hopefully this guide has helped you feel much more comfortable with the idea of using essential oils for cleaning.
It’s actually very simple once you know a few tips and tricks.
Have fun making your own homemade cleaners, and mixing up your new favorite essential oil scent combinations!
Be sure to also check out:
- 10 Minute Chores: Cleaning Tasks To Do When You’re Short on Time
- Overwhelmed by Laundry? 17 Tricks to Shrink Your Laundry Pile Faster
- 6 Simple Ways to Keep Your House Clean ALL THE TIME
- 10 Things You Need to Organize Your Messy Kitchen