Welcome to Week 24 of the How I Saved Series!
If you’re new, you can check out the rest of the How I Saved Series here.
I share my savings every week in hopes that the money savings tactics can be useful in your life. You can put that savings toward something that’s important to you.
We’re putting all the money we save toward paying off our mortgage early.
Tip: Check out the Money Saving Resources page to see the resources I use to plan my shopping trips!
This post may contain affiliate links. You can view my full disclosure policy here.
On to the deals!
Here’s how I saved from June 11 – 17:
We got back from out of town late Tuesday night, so Wednesday I stopped at Aldi for a few things we needed/wanted, including:
- Apples ($2.99)
- Tortilla chips (89 cents)
- Mac n Cheese (33 cents)
- (2 boxes of 4) Veggie burgers ($2.79 each) – the black bean ones are pretty good, but I didn’t love the regular kind. They’re too vegetable-y hehe. My favorite will always be the Morningstar brand, but I haven’t gotten any good deals on them lately. The Aldi ones are actually vegan, if that’s important to you.
- Breakfast sandwiches ($2.99)
- White cheddar pasta side dish (89 cents)
- Chicken taquitos ($3.79)
- Bread (89 cents)
We still have some meat in the freezer, plus we’ll be away from home several evenings this week, so we didn’t need too many things.
I use a collapsible shopping basket like this one for my Aldi shopping.
Amount Spent: $18.35
Amount Saved: $5.50 (assuming 30% savings by shopping at Aldi)
If you want to learn how to slash your grocery budget in just 5 days, check out the FREE Grocery Shopping Makeover Challenge!
Kroger had some awesome deals going on. Between some weekend-only digital coupons and Mega Event sales, I scored some major savings.
Here’s what I bought:
- (4) Kraft mayo (99 cents) – Weekend-only Kroger digital coupon (could buy up to 5 for 99 cents each)
- (5) Heinz ketchup (99 cents) – Weekend-only digital coupon (could buy up to 5 for 99 cents each)
- Sherbet ($1.38) – On sale for $1.88, less a 50 cents off Kroger digital coupon
- Activia yogurt (99 cents) – Mega Event sale priced for $1.99, less a $1 off printable coupon
- (2) Stonefire naan dippers (99 cents) – On Mega Event for $1.99, less two $1 off printable coupons
- Ocean Spray juice (FREE) – Free Friday digital coupon
- Angel Soft toilet paper ($3.50) – On sale for $5, less a $1.50 Kroger coupon that they mailed me
- Brawny paper towels ($3.45) – Sale priced for $5, minus a 55 cents off newspaper insert coupon, plus a $1 off any paper towel Kroger coupon I received in the mail
- Eckrich turkey smoked sausage ($1.25) – Mega Event sale priced at $2, less a 75 cents off Kroger digital coupon
- (5) Hillshire Farm chicken sausage ($1.88) – Weekend-only Kroger digital coupon (could buy up to 5 for $1.88 each)
- (2) Almond Breeze almond milk (50 cents) – Mega Event sale priced for $1, less a $1 off two printable coupon
Amount Spent: $31.86
Amount Saved: $55.91
Percentage Saved: 64%
Kohl’s was offering 30% off to their credit card holders. Plus they sent me a $5 off anything coupon for my ‘anniversary’ of having their store card. And another $5 off anything coupon!
Obviously, this was a recipe for a Kohl’s outing.
My daughter needed a few things for summer, and got a pair of shorts, two shirts, and a bathing suit.
I, ever the clearance rack hunter, got a shirt I love. It was marked down to $8.
After all the sale and clearance prices, both $5 off coupons, and the 30% discount, we paid $52.65 (including tax). Not too bad for 5 items.
We also received $10 Kohl’s cash for spending over $50. That’s a free $10 to use on anything next week.
Amount Spent: $52.65
Amount Saved: $118.33(!)
GRAND TOTAL SAVINGS FOR WEEK 24: $179.74
TOTAL SAVED YEAR-TO-DATE: $2314.87
- Where to start when you’re flat broke
- 5 easy meal planning strategies for beginners
- 5 ways to save money on groceries without using coupons
- 12 things frugal people don’t do
- 10 money myths that are keeping you broke
Check out the rest of the How I Saved posts here.
Don’t forget to check out the Resources Page for tons of other money saving resources!
How did you save money this week?