Do you have a fun trip planned? Sometimes the day or week before going out of town can get pretty hectic! You’re racking your brain, trying to think of all the things you need to get ready before leaving.
Here’s your answer!
Whether you’re preparing your house for an extended vacation, or leaving on a last minute trip, here’s a list of the things to do before vacation.
This vacation preparation checklist is broken up by what to do the week before, day before, and morning of leaving for your trip.
Be sure to grab your printable copy of the vacation preparation checklist at the bottom of the post!
This post may contain affiliate links. You can view my full disclosure policy here.
What to do 2-7 days before vacation
1. Put in your request to have your mail held – or ask someone to pick it up for you while you’re away
2. Put a hold on newspaper delivery
3. Stop ordering things online that might not come in time
4. Start eating up perishable foods – and stop buying new perishables!
5. Pay any bills that will be due while you’re gone
6. Make arrangements for your pets – Call the kennel or ask a friend or relative to take care of your furry friends while you’re gone
7. Check your prescription medications – Get any necessary refills to make sure you won’t run out during vacation.
8. Load up on entertainment – Download ebooks or audio books (your trip is the perfect opportunity to try an Audible 30 day Free Trial, and receive 2 free books!), movies, music you’ll want to listen to. Or visit the library!
9. Brainstorm packing list – Start writing a list of what you want to bring, and think about what your vacation outfits will be.
10. Check your supply of toiletries – and buy what’s needed.
11. Double check the time of your flight and destination check-in
12. Jot down a list of fun things you’d like to do at your destination – Check out the Visitor’s Bureau website of where you’re going to come up new ideas.
23. If traveling internationally, let your bank and credit card company know – This way they won’t be alarmed at foreign charges. (Many banks offer a travel notification form online you can fill out instead of calling.)
24. Do any before-travel grooming or beauty activities – Gotta make sure those brows and feet look nice!
15. Make a copy of your passport, ID and the front and back of your credit cards – And keep somewhere safe, in case anything happens to your wallet.
16. Take a picture of your prescription labels – This way you’ll have all the relevant information, in the event that any of your bottles get lost or stolen.
17. Ask someone to keep an eye on your home while you’re gone – Even just a quick check to make sure the mail and newspapers aren’t being delivered, or that a pipe hasn’t burst or something.
Now let’s look at what you need to accomplish the day before your trip.
Things to do the day before vacation:
18. Clean or tidy your house – Nothing makes the end of a vacation worse than coming home to a messy house.
19. Throw away any food that will spoil
20. Do your laundry – Make sure any clothes you want to pack are clean. You’ll really thank yourself if you wash your sheets too!
21. Check in online for your flight
22. Check the weather report for your destination – And adjust your packing accordingly.
23. Fully charge all the electronics you’re bringing – Including phones, tablet, laptops, bluetooth headphones, etc. (And be sure to pack their chargers and any appropriate adapters afterward.)
24. Stop at the bank for cash – You may want to get some small bills for tipping shuttle drivers and baggage carriers.
25. Get packed – Aside from last minute items, pack everything you can the day before.
26. Write yourself a note for last minute things to pack or do in the morning – You might think you’ll remember everything, but you probably won’t.
27. Do anything your pets might need – Pack their stuff if they’re staying elsewhere, or leave out extra food and water if they can stay home alone.
28. Remove anything from your wallet and purse that you won’t need – This lightens your load, and makes life easier if anything happens to your wallet while traveling.
29. Label or personalize your luggage if flying – Put a ribbon or sticker (or some easily identifiable personalization) on your suitcase so you can find it quickly on the conveyor belt. Just don’t put your phone number or address on it!
30. Hide your spare key – You could bring it in, or hide it better, so no one messes with it in your absence. One of these fake rock key-hiders can come in handy, as long as you hide it well also.
31. Mow the lawn – Do any necessary yard work before you leave, so it stays looking nice. If you’re going to be gone for a long time, hire someone to handle it while you’re away.
Now get a good night’s sleep. You should be tired from your busy day of vacation preparation!
Things to do the morning you leave:
32. Empty trash cans in your house
33. Do the dishes
34. Make your bed – You’ll really appreciate coming home to a tidy house!
35. Pack any last minute toiletries and items from the note you wrote yourself – Don’t forget your medications!
36. Pack snacks – Bring snacks for the car or plane ride, so you don’t have to stop anywhere (and overpay), or get all cranky from hunger.
37. Make sure all the doors and windows in your home are locked – Including your garage or shed.
38. Water house plants
39. Set timers for your lights (if you feel it’s necessary)
40. Lower or raise thermostat – Depending on what season you’re traveling, you’ll want to lower or raise the temperature at home to save money and energy.
41. Close all curtains and blinds
42. Be sure that you have your ID and passport
43. Double check all travel info – And that you have any tickets or passes you need to bring.
44. Unplug unnecessary electronics – This will save on electricity, and lower the risk of fire.
45. Weigh your luggage if flying – And make adjustments accordingly.
This list wouldn’t be complete without a few tips for what to take care of at work before you leave town.
Things to do at work before vacation:
46. Confirm vacation approval – Make sure you turned in your vacation notice, and that it’s been approved!
47. Set up your away email message – Even if you plan on checking your email, this will make you feel less pressure about responding right away.
48. Wrap up any projects you need to finish – And don’t agree to anything new, if possible!
49. Let others know if they’ll need to handle things in your absence
50. Make a list of what to tackle upon your return – So you know where you left off.
51. Tidy up your desk – It will make going back ever-so-slightly less horrible. : )
Now go have fun!
I hope this list of last minute things to take care of before vacation gives you some reminders and peace of mind.
You can rest easy knowing that you’ve properly prepared your home and yourself for your trip.
Even though it can be a hectic time, it’ll be so worth the energy you took to take care of these details!
Sign up below to get your copy of the Vacation Preparation Checklist!
You’ll access to get access to tons of other printables that make taking care of your home, your finances, and yourself a little easier!