If you’ve ever been on a trip, you know how overwhelming packing everything can be. Not to mention the cost of all those travel-sized toiletries! Even though they’re super cute, I just can’t abide paying almost as much for a 2 oz bottle as the full-sized version.
There’s a simple solution!
Dollar Tree to the rescue yet again.
I recently stopped at the Dollar Tree to stock on my favorite household and beauty essentials, and lo and behold, I noticed tons of items that would be perfect for a road trip or a plane trip.
This post may contain affiliate links. You can view my full disclosure policy here.
My family and I are traveling to Seattle next month, and that will only be my fifth plane trip ever. I am clueless about packing for plane travel, but now I know I will be using dollar store travel items.
No matter what trip you have planned, Dollar Tree has an extensive collection of items you will find helpful. You’ll save money by purchasing them there, and save time by getting them all in one place.
Plus, you don’t always want to bring your best versions of things on vacation, in case they get lost or forgotten.
Don’t have time to read the entire post? Request a free printable shopping list of the dollar store travel essentials!
75 of the Best Dollar Store Travel Items
UPDATE: Did you know you can buy these and many other items online, on the Dollar Tree website?! If you don’t live near a Dollar Tree, or prefer the convenience of online shopping, click here to check out their website!
The dollar store has a huge variety of travel sized medications and other healthy essentials. Here’s what I found at my local Dollar Tree, sized perfectly for travel.
- Generic versions of Motrin, Bayer aspirin, Tylenol, and Benadryl
- Gummy multivitamins, Biotin, Vitamin D, and Melatonin
- Tums and Zantac
- Pill organizers (for your medications and vitamins, or to organize small earrings)
- Small first aid kit
- Cough drops and cold medicine
- Pain relief gels, patches, and creams
- Travel size hand sanitizer bottles
- Anti-bacterial wipes
- Eye drops
You could also make your own dollar store first aid kit, especially if you’re going on a road trip. Incorporate some of these items:
- Antibiotic ointment
- Paper, waterproof, or athletic tape
- Disposable gloves and face masks
- Ice packs
Beauty and Personal Care:
- Travel size toiletries (shampoo & conditioner, lotion, mouthwash)
- Empty travel size bottles (TSA approved 3 oz size – fill with your favorite products from home)
- Toothbrushes (with travel holders)
- Dental floss sticks
- Lip balm
- Shower cap
- Small pouches to hold makeup and toiletries
- Travel/purse size tissue packs
- Manicure kits
Snacks and Beverages
The Dollar Tree has a very wide assortment of snacks to choose from. Some are even bagged into individual-sized portions. Or you can buy a big bag or box and portion them out using zip top plastic storage bags.
Their food and drink options include:
- Graham crackers
- Potato chips, tortilla chips, pretzels, etc.
- Sandwich crackers and cookies
- Fruit snacks
- Granola bars
- Candy (HUGE selection)
- Gum and mints
- Trail mix
- Peanuts and other nut mixes
- Individual drink mix packets to pour into water bottles
- Juice boxes and individual bottles of Sunny D, etc.
- Reusable water bottles (plastic, glass, and aluminum)
- Reusable travel coffee cups with lids
- Plastic containers (of various sizes) to store snacks
Related: 5 tricks to save money on groceries without using coupons
Travel Items for Kids:
Snacks are an absolute must for traveling with kids, but you also need the essentials. And more importantly, entertainment! At dollar store prices, you could pull out a new toy every time your child starts acting bored and whiny. Avoiding meltdowns is key : )
Some travel ideas for kids are:
- Baby wipes
- Disposable bags for dirty diapers
- Baby toys
- Plastic plate and silverware sets
- Books (for all aged kids)
- Coloring books and activity sets
- Toys (huge variety)
- Beach toys
- Glow sticks
- Crayons and colored pencils
- Child-sized reusable water bottle or sippy cup
Other Dollar Store Travel Essentials:
Now that you have your beauty and health products, snacks, and kids’ happiness covered, you may also want to contemplate how to handle what other random travel situations might arise.
Consider picking up these handy items:
- Ziploc-style plastic bags (for holding snacks or toiletries)
- Small flashlights and nightlights (for dark hotel rooms)
- A good book (ya need a beach read!)
- Extension cords and power strips (if your hotel room doesn’t have convenient outlet placement)
- Travel size laundry detergent, fabric softener, and dryer sheets
- Sleep masks and earplugs (for the plane or noisy accomodations)
- Luggage tags
- Reusable shopping bags (as a beach bag or to hold souvenirs)
- Umbrellas and ponchos
- Disinfecting cleaning wipes (to wipe down hotel remote controls, etc.)
- Portable sewing and eyeglass repair kits
- Mesh laundry bags (to separate outfits or hold dirty clothes)
- Reading glasses
- Flip flops (for the shower if you’re camping, or to wear to the pool or beach)
- Socks and cushion insoles
- Vacuum storage bags (to compress clothing to fit into suitcase)
I hope this list gave you loads of ideas for travel items that you can buy at the dollar store. Vacations are expensive enough, without having to spring for all the accessories that go with it.
Have a safe and happy trip!
P.S. Don’t forget to download your travel essentials checklist!
You May Also Like:
- 7 beauty products you could be buying at the dollar store
- 8 surprisingly helpful Christmas supplies from the dollar store
- 25 of the Best Dollar Store Party Supplies
- How to Save Money on Greeting Cards for Every Occasion