You know what’s almost as fun as saving money when you shop? Making money when you shop! Yep, it’s possible. In fact, it’s actually easy with Ibotta. After using the Ibotta app for a while, I thought I’d share a review and tutorial. But first, how does Ibotta work?
How does Ibotta work? A Review and Tutorial of the Cash Back App
This post may contain affiliate links. You can view my full disclosure policy here.
UPDATE: Want to earn $10 in about 2 minutes? Ibotta is currently offering a $10 welcome bonus if you sign up through this link!
You May Also Like:
- $5 Meal Plan (get a weekly meal plan and shopping list done-for-you!)
- The Quickest & Easiest Way to Create a Grocery Budget
- How to Save Tons of Money on Groceries by Using a Foodsaver
What is Ibotta?
Ibotta is a free cash back rebate app. It allows you to earn money while doing your normal shopping. In fact, Ibotta reports that the average user earns $20-25 in their first month of using the app.
Ibotta works at TONS of retailers, and you can make money on:
- Mobile Shopping
- Beer, Wine, & Spirits
- Beauty & Wellness
- Restaurants & Bars
- Home & Electronics
- Convenience Stores
- Crafts & Gifts
- Specialty items such as Apple, Groupon, Ticketmaster, etc.
Is Ibotta legit?
Ibotta is definitely legit. I’ve earned over $250 with it!
I’ve never once had an issue redeeming an offer, or withdrawing cash. In fact they’ve paid out many MILLIONS of dollars to people so far!
At the end of last year, Ibotta sent me an email recapping some of the amazing ways people saved money. I live in Michigan, so they showed me how much my state saved as a whole. Florida was the top earning state, at almost $13 MILLION!
How does Ibotta work?
I’m sure you’re wondering how you can actually make money with Ibotta.
Ibotta feels a lot like using digital coupons. You ‘clip’ or add digital offers for what you’re buying in your account. There’s nothing to remember to bring to the store, or paper to keep track of.
The only difference is that the Ibotta offers are cash back rebates that you receive after you shop, instead of lowering your total at the register.
An awesome benefit is that you can combine the Ibotta offers with sale prices and other digital or paper coupons you might be using.
The rebates add up in your account, and once the total hits $20, you can withdraw it for cash or a gift card to your favorite retailer.
The gift card options range from stores, to travel, restaurants, and even Uber!
How to use the Ibotta app: A step-by-step tutorial for shopping in store:
Ibotta is very user-friendly. Here’s how to do it:
- Click here to create an account
- Download the app and sign in
- Find the offers you’d like to use (using ‘find rebates’ at the bottom)
- Add those offers by clicking the + sign
- Go shopping!
- After your shopping trip, open the app, and click the Redeem button
- Follow the easy instructions for submitting your receipt (It usually just involves taking a picture of it.)
- Cash out your earnings once you’ve hit $20
You can also shop through the Ibotta app for mobile purchases.
How to use Ibotta for mobile shopping:
- Once you’ve signed up, open the app
- Look for offers for your favorite websites
- Click through from the app to make your purchase
- Cash out your rebates!
How do you get money from Ibotta?
Once you’ve hit the $20 mark (which is not hard to do), here’s how to cash out your earnings:
- Click on your ‘Account’ in the bottom right hand corner of the app.
- Click the green Withdraw Cash button.
- Choose whether you’d like to get your money via PayPal or Venmo, or choose one of the many gift card options.
- Choose the exact amount you’d like to withdraw, and click the green button to get it.
How long does it take to get money from Ibotta?
I usually get my rebates within an hour of submitting a receipt. Withdrawing money via cash or gift cards arrives almost that quickly too.
How does Ibotta make money?
In case you’re still wondering if Ibotta is a scam, let me assure you that there’s something in it for them too. Otherwise, why would they bother?
See, Ibotta earns money by referring customers to a store. They receive a small commission for doing so, and you earn cash back too. Talk about a win-win!
More benefits of using Ibotta (secrets, tips, and hacks!)
1. You’ll earn money by referring your friends and family. Ibotta will give you $5 for each person you refer. And often they have additional bonuses for referring more than one person in a month.
2. Additional bonuses: Ibotta is always offering bonuses in different themes. It varies from month to month, but you can usually earn extra cash back by redeeming a certain number of rebates.
3. You can submit a receipt up to a week later. Yep, even if you completely forgot to add rebates before you shopped, or were too tired to submit your receipt when you got home, you still have time!
4. Quick turnaround: Like I mentioned above, Ibotta if very fast at giving you your money. I’m always so surprised how quickly my account gets credited.
5. It’s an easy way to save for Christmas. Talk about an effortless way to build your Christmas fund! You could just let all your rebates add up all year, and cash them out for gift spending money or a handy Amazon gift card.
6. Link your loyalty cards. Ibotta is rolling out a feature where you can link your favorite stores’ loyalty cards. You won’t even have to submit your receipt this way. The offers you’ve added will automatically be credited to your account. The Ibotta app will prompt you if this feature is available for the stores where you shop.
Some stores without loyalty cards (like Walmart) are now printing a Qr code at the bottom of the receipt that you can scan, instead of having to submit a receipt.
7. Any brand offers: Many Ibotta offers are for specific brands, but they also rotate through a wide variety of ‘Any Brand’ deals. Sometimes it’s 25-75 cents for absolutely any item you want to buy. Or it might be any brand of:
8. Use Ibotta at the dollar store. You can actually use Ibotta at Dollar Tree, Family Dollar, and Dollar General. If the rebate offer is for $1 or more, you’ll get the item for free or even make money!
9. Find offers easily with these features: In the Find Offers tab, use the search bar to quickly find available rebates at a store. Click the magnifying glass in the top right corner, and you can search by category (ie. paper goods) or brand name.
Another way to search for available rebates (after clicking the magnifying glass) is to scan the barcode of an item. If there is an offer for it, it’ll pop up and you can add it easily.
Or you can sort the offers by category (along the top) such as new offers, best value, what’s hot, produce, dairy & eggs, beverages, frozen, pantry, meat, beauty, etc.
10. Stack Ibotta rebates with other money-saving hacks. My oh-so-happy grocery shopping trifecta is when something is on sale, plus I have a coupon, and there’s an Ibotta offer. It happens more often than you’d think!
Related: Check out my Money Saving Resources page for the best deal and coupon-matchup sites that I use to plan my shopping trips.
In conclusion: My Ibotta Review
I really love using Ibotta. I’m well on my way to earning $300 very soon, with precious little effort on my part.
Of course, there are pros and cons to everything. The downsides I’ve found with Ibotta are:
- Occasionally there aren’t offers that apply to me.
- The app works far better than the desktop version.
- Online shopping must be done on mobile.
- It is an extra step or two in the shopping process. Sometimes they have you watch a short video or answer a question before you can add a rebate.
But overall I definitely feel like Ibotta is worth it. Any time I can earn money while shopping, I’m happy!
Hopefully this Ibotta review and tutorial helped you better understand how the cash back app works and how to use it.
What do you think? Ready to start making money with Ibotta? Click here to get your $10 welcome bonus! Signing up on the app instead? Use code uwhaflc to receive your bonus.
P.S. Don’t forget to bookmark this page or Pin it on Pinterest to refer back to. I’ll keep it updated with the newest Ibotta tips and tricks!
You May Also Like:
- How to Create a Master Grocery List (to save your time and sanity!)
- 10 Cheap and Easy Meals that ANYONE Can Make
- How to Get Started Meal Planning Today: 10 Super Easy Tricks